Managing Cat and Dog Allergies in Lombard, IL with Dermatology
Healthy skin is necessary for a healthy body. It provides a barrier to harmful bacteria and prevents infection. Your pet’s skin is just as important to them as yours is to you, and we want to help you protect it. At Carriage Animal Hospital, we see many pets from Lombard and surrounding areas that come to us with allergies. Pet allergies often cause severe itching and inflammation of the skin. When your pet itches, they scratch…and scratch. Damaged skin invites infection, which can make your pet’s symptoms much worse.
That’s why we highly recommend bringing your pet in for treatment if you notice them scratching and licking at themselves. They could have an allergy, and the sooner we diagnose and treat their condition, the sooner they can return to a comfortable life.
Dermatology Services for Diagnosis and Treatment
The first step in treating your pet’s condition is accurately diagnosing the problem. Once we understand it, we can discuss treatment options.
Our services include:
- Skin scraping
- Skin cytology
- Allergy testing
- Elimination diet
- Apoquel, an oral anti-itch drug
- Cytopoint, and injectable anti-itch treatment
- Medicated shampoos and conditioners
- Topical medications
- Hypoallergenic pet food
Other Common Pet Allergy Symptoms
Itching alone may not be due to an allergy. Pets can also be prone to fungal infections or develop an itch as a result of a flea or mite infestation.
Additional symptoms you might see in your pet include:
- Chewing and licking at the feet
- Raw, red ears and/or patches of skin
- Areas of skin that are dry, scaly and hairless
- Frequent ear infections
- Swelling around the face, ears and lips
- Runny eyes and nose
- Bumps on the skin
Conditions We Can Treat in Pets
While pet allergies are very common, especially around certain seasons, their condition may have another source. Our dermatology services enable us to treat many different problems, including:
- Atopic dermatitis – can occur if your pet is allergic to pollens, molds, dust mites and/or grass
- Food allergies – often caused by certain food ingredients such as corn, chicken, pork, beef, or dyes
- Flea allergic dermatitis – develops when your pet has a reaction to flea bites
- Acute allergic reactions – related to bee stings, reactions to drugs or vaccines
- Demodectic and sarcoptic mange – caused by mites, these conditions can cause severe itching and hair loss
- Ear mites – highly contagious, these tiny parasites can cause irritation and inflammation of the ear canal
- Ringworm – a highly contagious fungal infection that causes itching and hair loss
Your Pet Deserves Relief
An itchy pet is not a happy pet, but we can help you change that. Call us right away at (630) 495-3623 if your pet is showing any of the signs listed above. Our team will help you diagnose and treat your pet’s condition so they can enjoy their days with you in comfort.